Add Timer Button to GitHub Issues
Complete these three simple steps to enable time tracking in GitHub.
It takes no more than 3 minutes to set up.
No Manual Input Required
- Timer button is integrated into each GitHub issue
- It takes a single click to start the timer
- No need to stop before switching to another issue
Backlinks to GitHub from TMetric
- Each time entry contains a backlink to a GitHub issue
- GitHub repositories are mapped to TMetric projects
- GitHub labels are automatically assigned to time entries
Powerful Time Reports
- See the time of your team in one place
- Group, sort, and filter reports
- Export time reports and invoice your clients
How to Use Time Tracking In GitHub
1. Locate timer button on a GitHub issue
On the Issues tab, select a required issue. A dialog window opens where you can view and edit the contents of the issue. You will see the Start timer button in the upper right corner of the window.
2. Start timer on an issue
Click the Start timer button and TMetric will start recording your GitHub working time. Notice that the Start timer button changes to the Stop timer button and displays the time spent on the issue.
If you are the account owner or assigned admin in TMetric and start the timer for the first time, TMetric pulls out from GitHub and adds to your TMetric account:
- issue name
- issue ID
- project name
Labels are mapped to the tags existing in the TMetric account. If the Allow creating tags on a fly option is enabled in the TMetric account then the labels are automatically created.
The corresponding time entry appears on the Time page in the TMetric web app. You can easily navigate back to the GitHub issue simply by clicking the link icon next to the task name (in our case ID is #6).
3. Edit time entry, if necessary
A time entry with an external task can be edited. You can edit the name of the task, project, and labels without losing a link to the GitHub issue.
To disassociate the task from the GitHub issue, click the cross icon next to the task name in the bottom right corner of the time entry editor.
4. View a time report
Reports show the time from different external systems, as well as the time entered manually in TMetric.
TMetric is a great time tracking web app allowing to control your time and stay productive throughout the day!