Add Timer Button to GitLab Issues
Complete these three simple steps to enable time tracking in GitLab.
It takes no more than 3 minutes to set up.
No Manual Input Required
- Timer button is integrated into each GitLab issue
- It takes a single click to start the timer
- No need to stop before switching to another issue
Backlinks to GitLab from TMetric
- Each time entry contains a backlink to a GitLab issue
- GitLab repositories are mapped to TMetric projects
- GitLab labels are automatically assigned to time entries
Powerful Time Reports
- See the time of your team in one place
- Group, sort, and filter reports
- Export time reports and invoice your clients
How to Use Time Tracking In GitLab
1. Locate timer button on a GitLab issue
On the Issues tab, select a required issue. A dialog window opens where you can view and edit the contents of the issue. You will see the Start timer button above the issue name.
2. Start timer on an issue
Click the Start timer button and TMetric will start recording your GitLab working time. Notice that the Start timer button changes to the Stop timer button and displays the time spent on the issue.
If you are the workspace owner or assigned admin in TMetric and start the timer for the first time, TMetric pulls out from GitLab and adds to your TMetric workspace:
- issue name
- issue ID
- project name
Labels are mapped to the tags existing in the TMetric workspace. If the Allow creating tags on a fly option is enabled in the TMetric workspace then the labels are automatically created.
The corresponding time entry appears on the Time page in the TMetric web app. You can easily navigate back to the GitLab issue simply by clicking the link icon next to the task name (in our case ID is #5).
3. Edit time entry, if necessary
A time entry with an external task can be edited. You can edit the name of the task, project, and labels without losing a link to the GitLab issue.
To disassociate the task from the GitLab issue, click the cross icon next to the task name in the bottom right corner of the time entry editor.
4. View a time report
Reports show the time from different external systems, as well as the time entered manually in TMetric.
TMetric is a great time tracking web app allowing to control your time and stay productive throughout the day!