Add Timer Button to Visual Studio Team Services Work Item
Complete these two simple steps to enable time tracking in Visual Studio Team Services.
It takes no more than 3 minutes to set up.
Now login to your Visual Studio Team Services account and start tracking.
No Manual Input Required
- Timer button is integrated into each Visual Studio Team Services work item
- It takes a single click to start the timer
- No need to stop before switching to another work item
Backlinks to Visual Studio Team Services from TMetric
- Each time entry contains a backlink to a Visual Studio Team Services work item
- Visual Studio projects are mapped to TMetric projects
Powerful Time Reports
- See the time of your team in one place
- Group, sort, and filter reports
- Export VSTS time reports and invoice your clients
How to Use Time Tracking In Visual Studio Team Services
1. Locate timer button on a Visual Studio Team Services work item
On the Backlog tab, select a required work item. A dialog window opens, where you can view and edit the contents of the work item. You will see the Start timer button next to the title of the work item.
2. Start timer on a work item
Click the Start timer button and TMetric will start recording your Visual Studio Team Services working time. Notice that the Start timer button changes to the Stop timer button and displays the time spent on the work item.
If you are the account owner or assigned admin in TMetric and start the timer for the first time, TMetric pulls out from Visual Studio Team Services and adds to your TMetric account:
- work item name
- work item ID
- project name
The corresponding time entry appears on the Time page in the TMetric web app. You can easily navigate back to the Visual Studio Team Services work item simply by clicking the link icon next to the task name.
3. Edit time entry, if necessary
A time entry with an external task can be edited. You can edit the name of the task and project without losing a link to the Visual Studio Online work item.
To disassociate the task from the Visual Studio Team Services work item, click the cross icon next to the task name in the bottom right corner of the time entry editor.
4. View a time report
Reports show the time from different external systems, as well as the time entered manually in TMetric.
TMetric is a great time tracking web app allowing to control your time and stay productive throughout the day!