How To Set Up Billable Project
Here you will find a step-by-step guide on how to set up a billable project.
Though not all projects may be billable. For example, your company's internal projects, for which you don't invoice your clients. In TMetric, you can easily separate your billable time from non-billable or assign custom hourly rates for different projects that will override the default billable rate set in your workspace.
This feature is available only in Business and Professional plans and can be set up by the workspace owner and assigned admin. The assigned project managers can only see the billing type of the projects they manage.
Setting Up Billable Project
There are three billing types used for a project:
- Non-billable - for your company's internal projects, which don't need to be paid for.
- Time & Materials - when you plan to bill your client at specific hourly rates described below.
- Fixed Fee - if you want to get paid for the entire project without considering the time spent on its implementation or people who worked on it.
Hourly rates set for the Time & Materials billing type include:
Project rate - the time is billed on an hourly basis according to the specified project rate. The project rate is automatically taken from the default billable rate (if preset). You can override it in the Project rate field for a specific project.
Person rate - the time is billed based on the rates defined for members of a project in the Team section. By default, they are pulled from the member billable rates. However, you can override them within a specific project in the Team section by specifying a rate value for each member.
Work type rate - the time is billed based on the rates of the work types defined in the Work Types section of a project. Work types provide more flexible capabilities in terms of billing a client. Members can log their time under various work types, which are rated differently for a client.
Creating Project with Billing by Work Types
TMetric allows you to easily set up a project where time will be billed by different types of work your team members do. You can also choose which work types will be billable and which not. So, you can bill your client only for those tasks that you need.
When a new project is created, all the work types existing in the current workspace will be added to it. You can delete or add the ones you currently need.
To set up a project with customizable work types
1. Open the Projects page.
2. Click New Project.
3. On the General tab, add general information for a project (its name, client, etc.).
4. Enable the Billing switcher and select Work type rate from the Hourly Rates drop-down list.
5. Now, in the Work types section, you can set the rates you need.
6. To make a work type non-billable, click the dollar sign checkbox button next to its name to uncheck it.
Didn’t find what you were looking for?
If you didn't find what you were looking for, you can make a support request or email us to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll be glad to help you personally.